New recommendations for when to start a statin:
- The 10 year chance of having a heart attack is greater than 7.5% and the patient is between 40 and 75 years of age. (High intensity)
- If the person is > or = 21 and the LDL is > or = 190. (High intensity)
- If the person has Clinical atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease. ( moderate too high intensity)
- Patients 40 to 75-year-olds who have diabetes and LDL between 70 and 189. (Moderate intensity)
Strength of evidence is A. Reference is circulation.
- High-intensity is atorvastatin 40 to 80 mg or rosuvastatin 20 to 40 mg.
- Moderate intensity would be atorvastatin 10 to 20 mg,rosuvastatin 5 to 10 mg,, simvastatin 20 to 40 mg, pravastatin 40 to 80 mg or lovastatin 40 mg